Search This Blog

2008/08/21

I've been thinking quite a lot about the end of the world. It all started with this show I saw on the History channel. According to the show, it's almost a sure bet that the world is going to end on December 21, 2012. I've been thinking about that.

So, is that true? Well, the show did offer some scientific stuff to make its point. And it was on Tee Vee, after all.

I think the better question is, if it is true, then how does that change the way I live today? Obviously I don't want to get 40 or 50 years down the line and say, "Oh, dern, I should've planned for my old age." But, neither do I want to live every moment for some future time that may never come.

I am not so sure that it's true what Jesus said, that no man knows the day or the hour. I think maybe the Mayans, and those old Chinese guys, did figure something out. I think the point Jesus was making is that it's better -- far, far, better -- to live as much in the present moment as possible. That, after all, is where he is.

7 comments:

Lori said...

Geez, only 4 more years? Hillary best find a way to get nominated this year then.

I like your point about what Jesus said. Isn't it the easiest place to be and the hardest place to get to?

Rockstar Mom said...

Sylvia Browne, the psychic who is always a guest on the Montel Williams show, says the end will come in December 2096.

This post is going to stir me for awhile.

No matter what though, I'm still saving for Mollie's college.

Retirement...eh. College...yes.

June Butler said...

I think the point Jesus was making is that it's better -- far, far, better -- to live as much in the present moment as possible. That, after all, is where he is.

Amen, Sistah. I am old, so I may not be around in 2012, but even if you're not old, you may not be around, so the word is - live now.

Jan said...

I agree--now is all we have, though I have problems living that way. Each breath is a gift--not worrying about the ones in the future. Somehow.

Diane M. Roth said...

2012. wow. sooner than I thought. well, maybe I won't worry so much about whether the house is clean, then. :)

and maybe arrange a few more blogger meetups too!

You're right about the present. We're hardly ever really there, though.

Barbi Click said...

Lindy, email me!

Barbi Click said...

oops, forgot the Please? :-)