Search This Blog

2009/01/12

This year I am reading my Psalms out of Eugene Peterson's The Message. I question the wisdom of this decision but I think I have to read through them several times before I can say one way or the other if it's a good decision for me. I so miss the familiar words of the good old BCP Psalter. But, Brother Eugene does have a way of turning a phrase that sometimes gives me pause.

Especially on my mind this week has been a line he wrote in Psalm 18:

"Every God-direction is road tested.
Everyone who runs toward him makes it."

How about that! Everyone who runs toward God makes it.

That shouldn't slow us down. Keep on going full-steam ahead. But, if you are like me, and some of you are, you've made some mistakes along the spiritual path.

I was thinking the other day about the mis-steps I've made in my spiritual life. Mainly, I make mistakes in innocence. I've been at this for awhile. It's pretty much a foregone conclusion that I am on the path to stay. But, mainly from just not knowing what God was up to, and not knowing how to respond, mainly just from being incredibly ignorant of the ways of God, I've made some mistakes. Usually I don't notice them until I am pretty far gone in the wrong direction.

There's a place in the Psalms where the writer speaks of being a beast in the presence of God, mainly from his own woundedness and I imagine ignorance. I've been like that. Just beastly, going before the throne of all love with my fear and anger.

And sometimes -- often, really -- I wonder if my spiritual life is "going" anywhere at all or whether I might not be just sort of dog paddling pathetically along in the kiddie pool.

But, here comes this psalmist saying that everyone who runs toward God makes it. To hear me talk about it, you'd think only the first fifty were going to make it. Oh, see me run. Run Lindy, run. But, no. It's everyone. Even the slightest little jog in the direction of God is enough. And, of course, you know why as well as I do. Because "making it" isn't about us at all. Never has been.

So, let's all keep on running, and running as best we can. But, know this, you will make it. If you are not fast, you will make it. If you stumble, you will make it. Even if you fall down, even if you need help to get back up, even if you finish the race limping and bleeding, carried along by the rest of us YOU WILL MAKE IT.

EVERYONE WHO RUNS TOWARD HIM MAKES IT!

Glory.

8 comments:

Wormwood's Doxy said...

I think I can give up blogging on faith now. That just about sums up anything I could possibly say...

Love,
Doxy

Fran said...

Oh Doxy is right - this is it Lindy.

Thank you so much, I am so glad to have read this.

Anonymous said...

Doxy, don't you dare! I have had several moment with the Peterson Psalter that left me thinking "Well, that really is the whole potato." But, that didn't cause me to stop reading.

The blog woprld would be incomplete without either of you.

Diane M. Roth said...

just perfect, just perfect, Lindy!

Lori said...

You are my friend who uses exactly the right words to say what it is!

And I gave you a friend award at my place.

Jan said...

Lindy, thanks for these words. Just go and it's okay. Thank you, God.

Diane M. Roth said...

back here to tell you that I have an award for you.

p.s. and what's this snow bliz thing?

Anonymous said...

I got TWO awards today! I know the internets is supposed to be virtual but I couldn't be happier if you'd handed me that gigantic Super Bowl thing.

In all seriousness, I am astounded at the quality of blog reader I have. You people are tops, and I'm not just saying that because you gave me an award. Though the award thing helps.

Diane, Snow Blitz is a game. It's this month's special feature. Last month the special feature was Spanish Word Of The Day, which I see didn't make much of an impression on you. I wanted to do a winter theme for you and Ann and whoever else may be in cold country. Catherine. There are several of you.

It's going to get down to almost freezing here tonight so even I will be bundled up tonight. I brought my flowers in and everything.

Love to you all andI am off to collectmy awards!