Search This Blog

2009/05/12

Carrie Prejean is The Devil.  There.  I said it.  And, lemme tell you, it needed saying.  You want me to tell you why?  Because you know I'm going to.

First Carrie Prejean, who is The Devil, said that she did not win the Ms. America contest because she is not in favor of marriage equality.  Well, that's just not true.  If her second-place status is due in any part to her answer on marriage equality, it was not because she failed to give the answer Perez Hilton would have liked.  It's because her answer was wrong.

Here are her exact words:

"Well, I think it's great that Americans are able to choose one or another. Um, we live in a land that you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite marriage. And, you know what? In my country and in my family, I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offense to anybody out there, but that's how I was raised and that's how I think that it should be—between a man and a woman. Thank you!"

Let's just break that down into smaller pieces.  First there's this:  "Well, I think it's great that Americans are able to choose one or another. Um, we live in a land that you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite marriage..."   No kidding.  That's what she said.  American's have a choice.   Americans can choose same-sex marriage, or "opposite marriage."  Hummm.  That's news to me because we don't have marriage equality in my state, nor do we have marriage equality in any adjacent state, nor in any of the states adjacent to them.  In fact the nearest place I could marry the woman I love is Iowa which is four states and about 850 miles away.  Maybe it's just me, and I surly do not want to be one of those difficult lesbians, but that doesn't seem like much of a choice to me.  

And, I'll tell you something else.  You knew I would.  Even if I went all the way to Iowa, and if I  somehow found a woman who would agree to marry me, and if we actually got married, even then, there are over ELEVEN HUNDRED federal rights and benefits from which I'd still be excluded.   So, really, not only does that not seem like much of a choice, it makes Carrie Prejean, who is The Devil, wrong... just plain wrong.

But, of course, the good news is that Ms. Prejean didn't mean to offend anyone.  She actually said that.  Here it is:  

No offense to anybody out there,..."  

Nice touch, don't you think?  I have three things to say about that:
1. Bigotry is offensive.  It doesn't really matter much if you want it to be or not.  It just is.  Nice people agree on this.

2. Saying that she doesn't intend to be offensive did not magically make the answer correct.  It's still wrong.  There is no choice.

3. It is disingenuous to claim that you don't want to be offensive and then continue to be offensive.  Based on more recent statements, I don't think Carrie Prejean cared one wit about whether or not she offended anyone.
That seems like a flat-out lie to me.  And we all know who the Father of Lies is.  That's right, The Devil.

After the Ms. America Pageant, Carrie Prejean went on the James Dobson Tee Vee Show and claimed that she had been tempted by The Devil.  Who else?  

If you don't believe me, and I totally understand if you don't, here's a link to it.  She actually said that The Devil tempted her to give a namby-pamby answer.  But then, "  God was in my head and in my heart saying, "Do not compromise this. You need to stand up for me..."  

When I read that, I heard God in my head... Oh, wait... never mind.  It was just one of the voices.  

But, seriously,  you know what?  I'm OK with that.  People have their own relationship with God and I don't want to get into that.  It's for everybody to work out for themselves.  I am not even going to get into it, and you all (mainly) are smart enough that you don't need me to parse it out for you.  

The telling thing, though, is that she doesn't really seem to care whether or not she was offending anyone.  It sounds to me like once she decided on the man/woman answer she no longer really cared about anything else.  I think she knew that her answer was offensive and just didn't care.  I wish she would just tell the truth about that.

After she went on James Dobson and displayed her nutty and dualistic theology in front of all the world, Carrie Prejean wrapped herself in the flag claiming that she had been punished for exercising her right to free speech.  "This should not happen in America," she opined.  There were almost tears in her eyes.  But, guess what?  It didn't happen in America.   If she's been punished for exercising her undisputed right to free speech then I am Ms. America.   It just didn't happen.  She wasn't punished.  Didn't happen.

The reason Carrie Prejean didn't win the Ms. America is because her answer was wrong.  

The other reason Carrie Prejean didn't win is because she made people, lots of people, boo.  That's never happened during a pageant before.  Ms. America is supposed to be Ms. America for all Americans, not just the bigots.  It seems like if people are booing, that's a good sign that you aren't Ms. America material.  Just me.

After the pageant, Carrie Prejean crafted her image to appeal to a certain brand of Christians, Republicans, anti-choicers, marriage bigots, misogynists, and patriots.  You've got to hand it to her, that somehow includes just about everyone.  The future looks bright... and lucrative.  But, I tell you, this woman is The Devil.  Write down the date so you can remember when you first heard it, Carrie Prejean is The Devil.

11 comments:

Diane M. Roth said...

or, she's stupid. but smart enough to figure out how to make herself into a celebrity.

8thday said...

At the risk of being publicly villified - I think Ms. Prejean has a right to her opinion. Right, wrong, stupid, bigotted, whatever. It is her opinion. As the old saying goes - "if you do not want someone's opinion, don't ask for it". She was asked, she gave it.

Wormwood's Doxy said...

Ms. Prejean certainly has a right to her opinion--as do we all. But it is important to recognize that, when you voice your opinion, you need to be prepared to take the consequences for doing so.

I always know that "No offense, but..." will be followed by something offensive. I've learned not to say it, and to take my lumps for expressing my opinions. I have no use for people who want to say hurtful things but refuse to accept responsibility for their words. (That includes anonymous commenters, BTW. I use a "nom de Net," but you can always e-mail me and I'll be happy to tell you who I am. Anyone who's been around the progressive Episcopalian blogosphere long enough knows already anyway...)

I'll be charitable and say that Ms. Prejean is very young, and that she will likely be much less vocal and (let's hope) a whole lot wiser by the time she's 45.

Pax,
Doxy

Lindy said...

Well, Diane, someone very smart said that you shouldn't attribute to malice what can easily be explained by stupidity. I think that they, and you, are probably right. Will be interesting to see what she says in ten years.

8thdayplanner, did you read the post at all? Of course she has a right to her opinion. Nobody is saying she doesn't. What I am saying is that her answer was wrong. Flat out wrong. There is no choice in this country regarding marriage. Did you hear me? There is NOT a choice about marriage. So, to say that there is, is incorrect. It's wrong. That's what I take issue with.

8thdayplanner has done exactly what Carrie Prejean did, she's turned herself into a martyr when, in fact, nobody even disagrees with her.

Dox, right on... as usual.

Lori said...

Malice and stupidity both shop at the same clothing store, IMO.

This woman is the worst kind of stupid. She's dim. Yet because she's pretty the world gave her a platform. Which tells you right there what I think of beauty pageants. I want to see the day when there is a gay contestant parading her tatas up there. THEN it would be a contest.

Yep. She was definitely dead wrong. Incorrect. And that alone would be enough to bring out the peppermint striped giant hook and yank her off the stage.

I'd say she is a devil though. Not THE devil. THE devil is occupied elsewhere this week. Just sayin'.

Lindy said...

I don't have much fashion sense myself. PG, so I appreciate the shopping tip. Will stay out of that store. And, since I don't really believe in The Devil, you all can use your own beliefs in that. But, I'll tell you what, I'll be happy to put my REAL tatas up there and give Ms. California something to worry about. Now THAT's a show you could enjoy.

8thday said...

Yes, I read your whole post. And yes, I agree she was wrong. Although even if she had the correct facts, I doubt it would have changed her opinion.

I guess I am just longing for a time when we all have a little more kindness for each other, whether right or wrong, or whether we agree or disagree.

Lindy said...

Once again 8thdayplanner misses the point. I don't care about Ms. California's opinion. Do not care. OK? What I take strong exception to is the fact that she has taken her own blunder (incorrect and unwise answer) and turned it into a cause celebre. I know people here in my own little town who have the same opinion as Ms. California. But, you don't hear them going around town saying, "I lost my job because I don't support marriage equality." Or, "I was doing fine until they found out that I prefer bigotry to equality." No. They have their opinion. But, they don't blame the other bad things in their life on having offended decency and morality. Just like me and my opinion. If I am in a room full of Southern Baptists, for example, I know that they will most certainly be offended if I spout off my ideas about Jesus or pretty much anything. Therefore, I often choose not to exercise my right of free speech because it would be rude, offensive, and yet oh so right. That doesn't mean I have been punished, nor does it mean that my right has been taken away or even threatened. The thing is that I also have a right to be judicious and temperate which I mainly am thought you are testing me on that. I hope this has clarified things for you.

As for kindness. Not for bigotry, not for hate, not for Ms. California.

lindy said...

Dear 8thday... I forgot to say that I appreciate you coming over and posting. I don't know if you noticed or not but you have helped me clarify my feelings, even to myself.

Of course, I love all of you who come over here and agree with me. Really love it. But, 8thday is the one who helped me today. Thanks 8thday.

Hope I haven't run you off.

Lindy

Rockstar Mom said...

Dear 8thday,

You're a tad bit flighty. No offense to you out there.

Mare

Lindy said...

Oh, Marianne, please... that is like the pot calling the kettle black. I love you pal but you are not the most focused babe in babeville.

I like 8thday... let's all try our best to be nice to her lest she go off and never come visit us again. It's more fun when someone disagrees. Remember when we had Cousin Amy? Well, bad example. But, you know what I mean.

Come back 8th day, come back...