Search This Blog

2008/06/03

Summer Meme From Presbyterian Gal

I got tagged by PresbyterianGal for this fun Summertime meme. Here you go...

1 - What first tells you Summer is here?
Suddenly there are more kids in need of supervision or a hobby and they all want to be where I am.

2 - Name five of your favorite distinctively Summer habits or customs.
I'm a little like the Almighty on that. I never change. I guess I move some of my outdoor activities to the morning. That's about it.

3 - What is your favorite smell of Summer?
I guess I just don't smell of that much stuff.

4 - What is your favorite taste of Summer?
I do like a cold watermelon. Even better with cold vodka injected into it.
Pear tomatoes
Figs

5 - Favorite Summer Memory?
I really like Spring and fall. Summer is a time of misery. I am not sure I have any really fabulous memories of Summer per se. The first day of Fall... Now, that I could maybe come up with some memories for.

6- Extreme hear or extreme cold? Which would you choose and why?
We don't have to choose. I am glad for that. But, again, I like the moderate temperatures. I like sweaters, not coats. I like short sleeves, not bikinis.

7 - What books do you plan to read for the season?
Well it doesn't have anything to do with the "season," such as it is, but I plan to do some re-reading. Judith Antionelli's Feminist Commentary On The Torah is one that I want to re-read. Maybe a few others that I feel I rushed through.

8 - How does Summer affect your faith? Is it a hindrance or an ally?
It does not affect me at all. Maybe it's harder to get away for a retreat but that's so hard anyway I don't see that Summer makes much difference.

Summer annoys me. I think all those children should be in school or detention camps... I don't really care which. I think most of their parents should be there too. It's hot. Too hot. I have to leave my dog home most of the time because he can't stay in the car by himself for even a few minutes. In only a few weeks it will be too hot to do sports outside unless it's very early in the morning. Really, it's not a good idea. A lot of people seem to think that the whole Summer season is a time for them to take a vacation from common courtesy and, between you and me, they didn't behave all that well to begin with. I'm just waiting for winter, that's the only other season we get.

8 comments:

Lori said...

The kids are where you are because you are probably more fun than the other grown ups. And I sure agree with you about the children's parents!!

I'm not a big fan of the extreme heat either.

Thanks for playing!!

Anonymous said...

I do like kids... but only if I'm in charge. You know i used to be the administrator of the Waldorf School of Orange County. THOSE were great kids.

I am admittedly grouchy about Summer in Texas. But, I know Southern California summers are different. It hardly ever got over 90 degrees in Laguna Beach. Lots of *&*^%$ tourists but great weather.

Summers in DC are even worse.

Diane M. Roth said...

bikinis (shudders). I do like fall as well. I think I like summer here because winter is so long and really, there isn't that much spring. But I do like autumn. I really like that it's not dark all the time, like in the winter here. Is it like that in the winter where you are? in the winter here it is dark until about 8:00 in the morning, and gets dark by 4:30 or 5:00 at night.

Come to Minnesota! Come to Minnesota!

Jan said...

That's funny that summer "annoys" you. I hate the heat and it's already way too hot--90s every day, which is early for this heat in CC.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Hi Lindy. Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting on my dog parables. I wanted to see the pictures of your dog, but the box was empty.

I think you're right about people using summer as an excuse to stop using courtesy. I hadn't thought about it before, but when I read that, I thought, "Yeah!"

Diane M. Roth said...

oh, and by the way, Feminist Commentary on the Torah sounds fascinating. I'd love to read a post on it sometime.


your post reminds ms a little bit of what it's like in summer in Arizona, too.

Fran said...

I love learning about Lindy.

Vodka. Watermelon.

I'll be by soon, on a hot day!

Anonymous said...

Fran, and everyone, I've got a vodka melon in the fridge right now! Come on by. It really is good, and relaxing too!

Feminist Commentary on the Torah is too complicated to do a post on. I'll tell you this, though, it's one of those books that has taught me to read the Bible in a different way. Mitchell Dahood is doing that for me with the Psalms. Herzog and others took me through the parables and taught me how to read stories within their cultural context. This book by Judith Antionelli is equally important to me. I recommend it for Jews AND Christians too.

Summer, and the ill-behaved, do annoy me but thanks to Presbyterian Gal I have managed to dredge up some nice Summer time memories to sustain me during these dog days. (Thanks PG!) Menories of the evaporative cooler coming on just as I step out of the shower, the smell of dirt, freshly cut hay, picking maize and eating it in the field the way Jesus and his friends did. Riding on the tractor with my uncle when I was just a little girl. My first dog, Daisy. Giggling with my cousin Wilma late into the night.

See, there's more to summer than just getting drunk on watermelon.

A happy Summer to you all!