Search This Blog

2009/09/05

All Our Opinions

We all have an opinion these days, don't we? I mean, I do. Go ahead, ask me anything! I've probably got something to say about it. And, it's likely that what I have to say is something you need to hear. I mean, that's how it is, isn't it? We all have something new and fresh to say about everything, all the time, and we are always right... Yeah, that sounds about right to me.

So, on that subject, here's a little something for all of us to think about:




Nan-in, a Japanese master received a
university professor, full of learning and talk, who came to inquire about Zen, Nan-in served tea. He filled the visitor's cup and then kept pouring, The professor watched the overflow until he could no longer restrain himself.

"It's over-full, No more will go in."


"Like this cup," Nan-in said, "you are full of your own opinions and speculations. How can I show you Zen unless you first empty your cup?





I do have thoughts about this, and speculations. But, maybe I should let my quick analysis go and see if something else shows up in my cup...

Wray, William. Sayings and Tales of Zen Buddhism, Reflections for Every Day. 1. Edison, NJ: Chartwell Books, 2006. Print.

3 comments:

Lori said...

That is an excellent lesson to remember.

Fran said...

Oh my - that is brilliant.

lindy said...

You want to know what's funny about this? The more I DON'T say about it, the more deeply I see into it.