Search This Blog

2008/05/18

Doubt and Discipleship

The Gospel reading for this week was Matthew 28:16-20. It's short so I'll cut and paste it for you:

"The eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had directed them. When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. And Jesus came and said to them, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age."

I had not noticed that the whole passage, to the end of the chapter, is about the disciples. And, when they saw Jesus, they worshiped him and some of them doubted too. The disciples! Doubters. This doesn't seem to bother either Jesus or the author of Matthew. The writer takes sort of a wheat and tares approach to it, letting everything go on as it is knowing that it will all get sorted out in the end. Here, as in most of our churches and, if we are honest in our own hearts, doubt and discipleship go together. And, it's not such a big deal.

A blessed Feast of the Resurrection and a happy Trinity Sunday to you.

4 comments:

Diane M. Roth said...

doubt and discipleship go together! I love that!

happy Trinity Sunday!

Fran said...

What Diane said! And of course what you said!

June Butler said...

What my two friends above said.

Happy Trinity Sunday to all.

Anonymous said...

I am most doubtedly in line with all this!

I have been playing with all your widgets here. You have the most fun toys! Thanks for the playdate!

Presbyterian Gal,
still blogging from another location