Search This Blog

2008/11/09

Being Lifted Up

I know that most of you read the Psalms every month. For me, it's about every month and a half. I get behind, I stop to think about them, I forget, I get busy... you know the list of reasons.

But, yesterday I finished for the month -- that's last month -- and I stopped to see what stood out for me in the Psalms this month and it seems like something worth thinking about for awhile.

Of course, this has always been there. But, what I've been thinking about is the number of times the writers of the Psalms tell us that God lifts up those who are fallen. And, often a better translation is those who are doubled over.

Sometimes it does say how it is that people happen to be down, or doubled over. Sometimes they get knocked over by enemies, often they are trapped or fall into a pit. But, it seems like more often they are just down. The writer is not specific about how they got there and that makes me think that maybe it doesn't matter much.

I like to think that God will lift me up because I am on the side of justice and truth, like Captain America. Or, that since I've endured humiliation with such grace God will surly want to lift me up. You know, I feel that I deserve to be lifted up. By the grace of God, of course.

But, maybe it's not like that. Maybe it's just the nature of God to lift up those who are down. I am starting to think that it doesn't even matter how they got there. It is even possible that God would lift up some people who don't particularly deserve it. And that is very good news for me, and probably for you too.

So, if you're down, don't worry;
You're sure to be lifted up.

If your enemies came along and knocked you over,
Or, worse, if it was a friend,
Don't worry. You're sure to be lifted up.

If you're bent over with worries or wracked with pain,
if circumstances conspire to keep you down,
Don't worry. You're sure to be lifted up.

If you've been exiled and rejected,
and even if your friends turn on you,
Don't worry. You're sure to be lifted up.

If you're fat and ugly, and people don't like you,
Get a dog and don't worry. You too are sure to be lifted up.

7 comments:

Lori said...

I like the way you write the Psalms. Very directly comforting.

sharecropper said...

cats work okay, too, Lindy.

Jan said...

I like your conclusion about getting a dog. Thanks, Lindy.

Rockstar Mom said...

I've been sick for two weeks Lindy. I'm ready to be lifted up. Even if it's on a gurney....

Diane M. Roth said...

perfect. the perfect psalm. it should be in the Bible.

Ann said...

Good to be lifted up even when I don't deserve it - maybe even better than when I deserve it.

Lindy said...

Yes, dogs AND cats are equally good for this sort of thing. I didn't mean to slight my feline friends, especially +maya or Buddy.

The rest of you are right about everything you say too... as you usually are.