Search This Blog

2009/03/04

What I Saw Today

I used to actually have a blog called that: What I Saw Today. You can still see it on the internets. It helped me be more aware of the things I saw, look more closely, find beauty in the ordinary. I sometimes feel like doing that blog again.

Anyway, I saw a Roseate Spoonbill the other day and I wanted to tell you all about it. I've heard that they are pretty common around here but I always think it's special when I see one. So unexpected.

Actually, until I started looking for an image, I called them Pink Spoonbills. Roseate is the proper terminology. You know, according to the computer.

So, I wanted you all to see this because I think they are pretty.

Of course, nature is full of surprises and I suppose we shouldn't favor one beautiful miracle over another. But there is something magnificent about them, isn't there?

8 comments:

Lori said...

You should know that this beautiful picture gave a depressed 10 year old boy a life to his spirits before he went to sleep.

Anonymous said...

Oh, PG, depression is so hard at any age. I know we'll all want to offer a prayer for Wonder Boy, and you. Hang in there with him, like I know you do.
Lindy

ROBERTA said...

I had no idea that such a bird even existed! amazingly beautiful.

ROBERTA said...

I had no idea that such a bird even existed! amazingly beautiful.

PseudoPiskie said...

It's fun to watch those birds feed besides just looking at their beauty.

I understand your loving them despite their being "common". Bald eagles are common here but, even after 40 years of seeing them, I still get a thrill when I see them fishing in our bay.

Catherine said...

It is common but magnificent in its own right. Thank you, Lindy, for showing us a tiny reflection of God's glory in this simple but stunning creature. I do love bird watching, just so you know.

Mike Farley said...

I'd seen them mentioned in bird books, but I'd no idea they were that beautiful...

Thank, you, Lindy - what a wonderful thing to show us!

Anonymous said...

Well, this is an amazing photograph, and NOT taken by me. But they are amazing creatures.

When I watch them feed I often wonder what it would be like if we were that focused on the beauty of God... maybe if we were hungrier.